Part #: M3000FSD
Manual Reference: It is recommended to consult a proper repair manual like the Bentley Workshop Manual for MINI Cooper when completing this install.
Note: We recommend installation of this kit by someone with the correct tools and knowledge. A McPherson Strut Compressor tool is needed to disassemble the front struts and complete this installation. Many automotive repair shops have such a tool and it is recommended that this installation be completed by a shop with this tool. You should check with your shop to make sure they have this tool before attempting this installation.
Front Struts - Left Side:
1. Raise the front of the MINI and support in a safe manner (preferably on an vehicle lift)
2. Remove the front wheels
3. Release the abs cable and brake hose from the retaining eyes.
a. Optional: Remove the front caliper and tie back out of the way. This can be done by removing the caps on the guide pins and using a 7mm Allen wrench to remove the guide pins.
4. If your MINI is equipped with head lamp leveling, locate the sensor on the left lower control arm. Mark the location of the bracket and remove it using a 10mm socket.
5. Remove the sway bar link by removing the upper and lower joints. Use an Allen wrench to hold the shaft and a 16mm wrench to remove the nut.
6. Remove the nut on the tie rod end, using a 15mm wrench and separate it from the knuckle using a tool such as our Ball Joint Separator (W116).
7. Remove the nut from the lower ball joint using an 18mm wrench. Separate the joint from the lower arm using a tool such as our Ball Joint Separator (W116). It may be very tight.
8. Support the steering knuckle from below and remove pinch bolt. Lower the knuckle down off the strut.
9. Support strut from below, mark the position of upper strut nuts in engine compartment (see picture). Remove nuts and remove strut from fender well.
10. Install assembled strut by reversing removal instructions.
a. If your MINI has head lamp leveling, install bracket in previously marked position (from step 4)
b. Tightening Torques:
- Upper strut to body mount: 25ft-lb
- Pinch bolt: 60ft-lb
- Brake guide pins: 22ft-lb
- Lower ball joint: 41ft-lb
- Sway bar links: 41ft-lb
- Tie rod ends 38ft-lb
- Road wheels 90ft-lb
Installing the right side is basically same as left, excluding step 4 for the head light leveling sensor.
Rear Struts - Left Side:
1. Begin by raising rear of car and support and support securely.
2. Support the left trailing arm using an adjustable jack. Remove the lower mounting bolt.
3. Release the ABS sensor cable and brake hose from their retaining brackets.
4. While supporting the strut, remove the two top mounting nuts.
5. Lower strut assembly and remove from car.
6. Using appropriate McPherson Compressor or Spring Compressor Tool, replace the strut.
7. Installation of strut is basically the reversal of removal process.
8. Leave the lower mounting bolt slightly loose until wheels are on the ground. Then torque the lower mounting bolt.
a. Tightening Torques:
- Lower strut mounting bolt: 103ft-lb
- Upper mounting bolts/ nuts 41ft-lb.
Repeat for right side.
SIGN UP for the Latest Deals on MINI Parts & MINI News!
Please wait while we calculate your shipping cost.....