Part #: M4327
Additional Parts Needed for This Installation:
Tools Needed for This Installation:
Overview: To complete this installation, you will need to replace the oil pressure switch with a transducer - our special 1-1/16" OP Sender Socket Tool (W140) is needed to remove the switch. Also, you will need to tap into the dash lighting circuit. Easiest access to this circuit is under the cigarette lighter in the center console. You will need to remove the console. Lastly, you will also need to remove the bolster under the steering column to route the wiring to the gauge. A MINI vehicle repair manual is recommended for reference - (M4273) or (MC04).
1. Begin by removing right front wheel and wheel and the inner fender liner. Looking past the oil cooler, you will see the location of the oil pressure switch. It has a green connector. Remove the connector and wire tie it out of the way. Using 1-1/16" Socket Tool (W140) attached to a 3/8" drive with 12" extension, remove the oil pressure switch. Apply thread sealant to the Autometer Metric Adapter 1/8" NPT (M2268) and thread/install it on into the block where you removed the original oil pressure switch. Then, thread/install the transducer included with the Oil Pressure Gauge into the adapter using thread sealant. (See Pics 1A, 2A).
2. Run a section of electrical wire from the transducer to the area on the steering column where you are installing the gauge. (Bolster removed) We followed the path of the boost gauge tube. (See Pics #2, #3)
3. Next, you need to provide power and ground for the bulb in the gauge. This can best be accomplished by tapping into the dash lighting circuit at the cigarette lighter in the center console. To access the cigarette lighter circuit wiring, remove the screws in the dash uprights and remove the four screws holding the console. Maneuver the uprights rearward and out. Lift up the console to reveal the wiring to the lighter. ( See Pics #4, 5, 7)
4. Remove the tachometer. (2 screws)
5. For illumination power, tap onto the wire going to the bulb at the lighter. For ground feed tap onto the solid brown that plugs onto the outside of the lighter. For power for the gauge, tap onto the center wire. It is best to check the feeds before tapping with a test lamp. Note: you could also get a ground from the dash bolt in picture below. (See Pic #9)
6. Run the wires from the lighter to the steering column area. We went under the carpet. Connect to the appropriate connection on the gauge. You will need some right angle terminals to gain clearance between the gauge and the dash. (See Pics #6, 8, 9)
7. Clip off the dash mounting studs on the back of the gauge. Install Flexpod Mounting Base to steering column. Install gauge into Gauge Cup and mount gauge and gauge cup to the Flexpod Mounting Base with set screw (see instructions provided with Flexpod and Gauge Cup.) Then, follow the Autometer gauge instructions provided for connecting gauge wiring. Re-install the tachometer.
SIGN UP for the Latest Deals on MINI Parts & MINI News!
Please wait while we calculate your shipping cost.....